[mythtv-users] can Nvidia 7800GS play HD?

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Sat Feb 23 03:46:21 UTC 2013

On 02/21/2013 12:52 PM, Brent S. Elmer Ph.D. wrote:
[deleted]

> That is the last AGP card that Nvidia made.  So, I can't improve on
> that.  The processor is an AMD Athlon 1800+.  It may end up having to be
> an SD frontend only.
>
> Brent

I have a 6600GT that I use with socket 754 Athlon at 2.2Ghz.  I setup a
custom profile with the standard decoder and OpenGL rendering, using one
of the HW acclerated de-interlacers - I believe Bob 2x.  But it does
play ATSC HD, both 720P and 1080i.

Not sure how much the OpenGL rendering offloads from the CPU - the
Athlon 1800+ may not be enough.

I agree with the other poster - a PCI VDPAU card seems like a better
idea at this point, and I will eventually switch to one as well - OpenGL
seems just a bit less stable, at least in my situation.