[mythtv-users] Best options/howto for diskless frontends

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Fri Feb 22 11:18:58 UTC 2013

On 22/02/2013 07:18, Per Jessen wrote:
> Paul Gardiner wrote:
>
>  > I ran "mkinitrd -k vmlinuz -i initrdnfs -f nfs -D eth0 -B" and copied
>  > the result plus the kernel to my server's tftp directory.
>
> This probably makes no difference, but I usually build with "-d
> /dev/nfs"; somehow "-f nfs" hasn't always worked for me.

I'll keep that in mind in case I run into any future problems. Maybe
some bugs have been fixed since your last run. Another difference:
I may be able to do without v3 in the rootflags. I haven't tried
it since it's all been working, but earlier - before I had your and
Tim's help - the boot progressed just as far without v3.

>  > I put the following in the pxelinux.cfg file:
>  >
>  > DEFAULT clunk-nfs
>  >
>  > LABEL clunk-nfs
>  >             KERNEL clunk/vmlinuz
>  >             APPEND initrd=clunk/initrd init=/bin/systemd root=/dev/nfs
>  > rw nfsroot=10.0.0.5:/home/clunk
>  > rootflags=hard,intr,v3,wsize=8192,rsize=8192
>  >
>  > [also tried init=/bin/init and leaving it out completely]
>
> I always leave it out.
>
>  > It tries very hard to work. The boot gets past the nfs mount stage and
>  > gets some way through the init, but then it just stops. No shell
>  > prompt, and I can't ssh in, so it's difficult to tell where it went
>  > wrong. Here's a photo of the screen:
>  > http://intranet.glidos.net/~paul/boot-failure.jpg.
>  >
>  > On the server side, I can see three
>  > successful dhcp runs, with a tftp access between first and second, and
>  > an nfs mount between second and third. I feel like it's close, but I'm
>  > out of ideas what to try to get it the rest of the way.
>
> In /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0, do you have:
>
> STARTMODE='nfsroot' ?

Ah! No I don't. That may have been an alternative solution. Will that
tell init that there is no need to if-up eth0?

Cheers,
	Paul.