[mythtv-users] Mapping OTA channels to HDHomerun tuners

Gill Stan beamaple at aol.com
Thu Feb 21 04:02:36 UTC 2013

In the last couple of weeks, I have just set up my first MythTV installation and I am very impressed with this application. It's a great program but there is one aspect that I just can't figure out.

I installed mythtv on a dedicated MacPro running Mountain Lion OS-X. I'm using Schedules Direct as my source of tv program listings.

My setup consists of two UHF antennas pointing in different directions to get a collection of over-the-air (OTA) channels from Buffalo NY and Toronto ON respectively (about 10 channels per antenna). Each antenna is connected to its own HDHomerun Dual tuner box. This is the best way of ensuring good reception on all the channels, but it introduces the complexity of tuner selection according to channel.

Here is the problem I cannot solve... I want the mythtv backend to select automatically the appropriate source/tuner according to the TV channel that I want to view live or to record. It appears that this cannot be done with the master backend by itself. The backend just chooses the next available tuner based on a fixed priority list, with no regard for channel mapping.

Correct me if I'm wrong... It seems that the solution is to have one slave backend connected to the Buffalo tuner, and another slave backend connected to the Toronto tuner. Then it would be possible to set up the master backend to always choose the appropriate tuner automatically. Is this correct, and is this the only way of doing it? If so, do the slave backends each need to run on separate computers, or is there any way that they can run concurrently with the master backend, all on the same computer?

Or is there some other practical solution?

To sum up, how can mythtv map the OTA channels to the tuners?

Does anyone have experience or a solution to share? Specific instructions would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks

B.Maple