[mythtv-users] New HDHR Prime/Cable Card issue

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Thu Feb 14 21:49:27 UTC 2013

Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:
>> This is what's in the HDHR Prime's log.
>>
>> 19700101-00:00:00 System: reset reason = power on
>> 19700101-00:00:01 CableCARD: M-CARD inserted
>> 19700101-00:00:03 System: network link 1000f
>> 19700101-00:00:06 System: ip address obtained: 192.168.1.59 /
>> 255.255.255.0
>> 19700101-00:00:06 CableCARD: Motorola card (0000:0265)
>> 19700101-00:00:06 CableCARD: authentication status: authentication in
>> progress
>> 19700101-00:00:20 CableCARD: CableCARD: card id changed from 0 to
>> 1602cdc9
>> 19700101-00:00:30 CableCARD: authentication status: authentication
>> success, activation needed
>
> This indicates you still need to activate the card.
>

>> Channels that are marked "unspecified" or "subscribed" can be recorded -
>> no  problem.
>> Those that are marked "not-subscribed" cannot.
>> Obviously, I do subscribe to them, as I can tune them with the cable box
>> and can record them with the HD-PVR.
>
> You will find with the HDHR-Prime that you will (after activation)
> show additional channels as subscribed, but when you tune channels
> such as FX-HD that they will be copy protected by TWC (and
> un-recordable via MythTV).  Subscribed does not equal no
> protection.
>
> The HD-PVR takes advantage of what is called the "analog hole"
> that allows one to get high quality (but not highest quality digital)
> signal from the STB.  The HDHR (prime) is a digital device, and
> only those systems that implement DRM can record copy once/never
> digital content.  And TWC (per corporate policy) marks everything
> other than the OTAs (and a few others) as copy once.
>
> So, if your expectation is that the HDHR-Prime can record the
> OTAs (and a few others), pretty much as a replacement for
> your HDHR, it can work with MythTV.  If you want to record
> FX-HD, it most likely will not work with MythTV (in the general
> case; TWC has different policies in different franchises, and
> perhaps FX-HD has a special exception in your location).
> The rules are different with Windows, which implements the
> DRM required to record copy-once content.  But if you wanted
> to use Windows, you would be discussing this on other forums.
>
> Gary

Gary:

The funny thing is, it lets me record FX-HD, but an attempt to record
something on the NBC affiliate failed.  Odd.

I did buy the Prime mainly to record the clear QAM channels I had
previously used the HDHR for.  If I get record a few of the others as
well, that would be an added bonus.

I'm aware of how the HD-PVR does its thing...I bought one of the first
ones out of the gate (and another one as a backup, just in case the first
one dies and the content providers somehow find a way to block manufacture
of the product).  Yes, I love that analog hole.  :-)

Bob