[mythtv-users] finding right alsa device for eeebox PC (ION2) and HDMI

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Feb 14 21:06:35 UTC 2013

On 13-02-14 03:55 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi

Hi,

> Well, there you go.
>
> The ELD (EDID like DATA) that the TV provides says it only supports
> stereo PCM... no digital audio...

Which I suppose is reasonable for a TV with only stereo speakers, the
fact that it's been told to forward the digital audio signal on out
through it's optical connection.

> So digital audio output would be disabled.

Not sure what "digital audio output" means in this context, but as I
mentioned before, I am able to get 5.1 DD/DTS through this configuration.

> What you're seeing with the other box is because it likely use an
> older version of ALSA which doesn't bother reading the ELD.

TBH, I'm not sure what it reports in terms of the "connection" in the
audio setup.  I really ought to look but that box is being retired, or
at least demoted.

> Now to be honest, I can't remember if myth ignore the ELD or not... If
> it does, I could always add a setting to ignore that value...

Well, it does seem odd to be able to get 5.1, admittedly encoded in
DD/DTS but having Myth telling me that the audio is only 2.0.

Not really sure how to rectify that though given the information
available to Myth.

Cheers,
b.