[mythtv-users] Problems starting backend

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 16:39:04 UTC 2013

On 02/14/2013 09:55 AM, Frank Feuerbacher wrote:
> The backend doesn't start when I reboot the system. It doesn't start when I run mythtv-setup nor when I start it from the command line using
> gksu (or whatever mythtv-setup uses). I can get it to run if I start it explicitly in the shell with /usr/bin/mythbackend. I think the problem
> is with the logging system, but I have not investigated too much yet.
>
> Are there any suggestions on how to go about tracking this down? The backend logs aren't too exciting.

Hi;

Just my 2 cents.

Stop the backend and make sure it's stopped:

    sudo stop mythtv-backend
    ps ax | grep mythbackend | grep -v grep
    sudo pkill mythbackend # until the ps returns nothing

Start that backend and capture a single session's log:

     sudo mythbackend --logpath /tmp --user mythtv

When the backend fails, as you said it would (or Ctrl-C):

     pastebinit /tmp/mythbackend.2013021........log

Put a link to the pastebin in a reply to this thread.
Ref: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Posting_Logs

Your comment about /etc/init.d is incorrect. The startup is
done via Upstart and the file of interest is:

     /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf

--
Bill