[mythtv-users] Integrating TVheadend and MythTV

mythtv . mythtv at harley-jones.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 08:37:09 UTC 2013

I know I can do all I want in MythTv but........

For reasons of where my satellite feed is at present (and wanting to find a
use for my Raspberry Pi) I had the following thought:

Originally, for want of not breaking my MythTV setup I was going to create
a separate image on a USB drive to boot and play with. I currently have
Freeview (DVB-T) running but have never got my Tevii S660 (DVB-S2) to work
properly. Having left it a while and had a scout around the web its seems
things may be a bit better now.

So great I thought, lets try and combine the two on my MythBackend. Now I
cant really be bothered to faff with the channel allocations etc so had an
idea of simply attaching the Tevii to my Rasp Pi running Openelec and then
watching DVB-S2 via XBMC and the tvheadend frontend (My mythfrontend
switches between XBMC and MythTV).

Currently I use mythweb to schedule and then just watch the recordings on
MythTV so I had thought of just using the Mythweb plugin on XBMC but not
yet...I still prefer Mythfrontend for various reasons (stability being one).

Anyway I am not really that bothered about the DVB-S2 so figured the
tvheadend on the Pi was the way to go but then I got thinking, is there any
way that I can remotely run TVheadend/Openelec/Rasb Pi and pump out the
stream and allow mythbackend to connect to this stream as an IP Recorder
device in the same way as you can connect to an HDHomerun or similar? That
way I could use all MythTVs scheduling wizardry and connect remotely to my
satellite feed which is currently elsewhere in the house.

Personally I think it would be a great use of the Rasp Pi to be able to
detach the tuner from the main mythbackend esp where I have had stability
issues with the Tevii in the past messing up my existing DVB-T sticks.

Just a thought......anyone any ideas or tried this at all?

Note I am simply using Openelec because it was the quickest and easiest way
of getting a running Tvheadend in this instance

Martin