[mythtv-users] finding right alsa device for eeebox PC (ION2) and HDMI

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Feb 11 13:52:06 UTC 2013

Hi.

Using Mythtv 0.25-fixes, I've got an EeeBox PC (EB1012P) and I can't
seem to find a sound device that will give me 5.1 via DD/DTS from it.

I have the EeeBox connected to my TV's HDMI and the TV is connected to
my DD/DTS capable receiver over an optical connection.  To the same TV I
have another Myth machine using an Nvidia GT210.  The latter is capable
of getting 5.1 audio to the receiver using DD/DTS just fine, so I know
the basic components and connections work.

When I run the Test All in the Myth frontend's audio setup on the GT210,
each speaker is successfully testing with the receiver being put into
DD/DTS for each speaker.

On the EeeBox PC, I am able to get the front pair of speakers to work
but I notice that the receiver is not being put into DD/DTS, and
unsurprisingly none of the other speakers (centre, rears) work.

I do have the DD and DTS checkboxes checked in the audio configuration
for the EeeBox.

The list of available devices on the EeeBox are:

# aplay -L
null
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
analog
mixed-analog
digital
mixed-digital
dmix-analog
dmix-digital
dmixer
default
sysdefault:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Digital
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Digital
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Digital
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Digital
    Hardware device with all software conversions
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions

hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1 is the only device I can get any sound out of at
all but I can only get front left/right.

The cards in this machine are:

# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xf9ff8000 irq 46
 1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xfbefc000 irq 16

Any ideas?

Cheers,
b.