[mythtv-users] HELP! 64bit Mythbuntu spontaneously reboots (32bit didn't)

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Mon Feb 11 02:26:29 UTC 2013

On 06/02/13 14:18, Joseph Fry wrote:

>         Everything seems to be working - it records, plays back, does
>         everything OK - except that sometimes the box reboots itself?!
>
>         There doesn't seem to be any particular trigger that I can work
>         out - last night it crashed while recording as soon as I stopped
>         watching something. It also looks like it crashed overnight while
>         recording, but not playing anything.  Of course it's also been up
>         for sometimes two days without a hitch.
>

>     So ... more than six months later, I can finally revel the culprit was
>     ... THE C-P-U !!! <shocked gasp from the crowd />
>

> Nope, not repairable.
>
> While you may have a bad CPU, it could be something else altogether.  You
> might not have had good thermal conductivity with the heatsink, may not
> have had a good seat in the socket, may have outdated firmware.
>  Additionally, you might be able to get away with under-clocking,
> disabling a core, increasing voltages, etc.  Finally, I have seen similar
> issues caused by a power supply, or the motherboard's power circuits/.
>
> While the two chips you compared are similar in many ways... they may be
> very different in terms of the demands they place on other components in
> the system... in order to have any assurance that it's the CPU, you would
> need to do an apples to apples comparison and replace it with an identical
> CPU.

For the most part: true!

But I also replaced the motherboard (I had an identical spare) which
involved re-seating the CPU, and re-thermal-pasting
Also I recorded the thermals, it was all nominal.

The big problem is I was tired of dicking-around with it, and wanted it to
Just Work (TM).  Now it does :D

You don't realise how much you depend on MythTV working.
Ok so the kids wont go hungry if it doesn't perform, but it makes life just
that little bit nicer.

thanks for the suggestions,
-kt