[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.25 tuner inititialisation problem

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 9 15:29:49 UTC 2013

On 02/08/2013 03:47 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> I am using gmail and I get to them from my sent folder. Maybe its gmail
>>> just being clever?
>>>
>>> Anyway they are making the list
>> Yes, that's what happens when you use gmail instead of using email--after
>> all, what fun would it be if Google did thing like a) the rest of the world
>> and b) the user would expect.  gmail won't show any of your own posts to
>> the list until someone replies to it.
> Actually that's exactly what I would want and expect,

Well, based on the sheer number of, "I don't know if my post went
through," e-mails we see on this list, I'm guessing you're the exception
and not the rule.

>   even though it may
> not be typical mailing list behavior... The reason why Gmail is so popular
> is simply BECAUSE Google didn't do email like the rest of the world (I
> can't go back to unthreaded email!)

And here I'm doing threaded *e-mail* (without gmail).

>   The Sent Mail folder is perfectly
> usable if I want to have a conversation with myself. :-D

I'll make a note to change MythTV to never show any recordings in Watch
Recordings until you have a 2nd recording with the same title...  Or
maybe I should have it hide any recordings in Watch Recordings until you
watch at least one recording with that title--obviously, if you've never
watched a show by that title, you don't care to see it, right?  After
all, hiding things from the user must be the right way to do things.  ;)

Anyway, sorry for the OT, but I'm a firm believer that the principle of
least surprise is a good approach to UI/UX development.  And, based on
my interaction with gmail users, including in this thread (and my own
dalliance with gmail), it seems that gmail isn't--it's more of a "our
way or you're wrong" approach.  That said, they do have a lot of nice
things they've added to their client--including their labels, which will
be very similar to a tagging feature I'm working on for MythTV.

Mike