[mythtv-users] Frontend Appliance, Maybe

Ben Healy melben1001 at yahoo.com.au
Thu Feb 7 04:46:55 UTC 2013

>I installed 12.04 by using a virtual. I created a virtualbox system with a HD sized and partitioned the same as the ATV1. I then installed 12.04 into partition 4(/boot) and 5 (lvm pv). Once the install was complete, I rebooted to a rescue disk and dd'ed the partitions to >an external usb drive.

>I then used the atv-bootloader recovery disk to boot the ATV1. Once atv-bootloader recovery is up, its disk can be removed. I then attached the external usb drive and dd'ed the partitions in.
>After the dds completed, I installed atv-bootloader to the recovery and osboot partitions. I then created a boot_linux.sh script that would boot the kernel stored in sda4(/boot).
>If the boot_linux.sh script is right and atv-bootloader is set to manual, 12.04 comes right up. The only gotcha I ran into is that you need to clear out the udev net rules for the nic from the virtual. It causes the atv's nic to show up as eth1.
>
>It's not an elegant method, but it does work.
>
>Ken

In my brief attempt I installed Crystalbuntu 2 testing (http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=6075) and then installed mythtv-frontend on top. I only played briefly and managed to start the frontend via a script from within xbmc, but managed to break it a bit when playing with LIRC and re-installed and haven't tried again yet.

One problem I had was that in the settings menus in mythfrontend I wasn't able to move the cursor about, so couldn't set it to use the Crystal HD card.

I will try again at some stage and this time prevent xbmc from starting before trying to use mythfrontend.

Ben