[mythtv-users] MythBuntu Mythcommflag closed

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Wed Feb 6 04:32:13 UTC 2013

On 6/02/2013 3:22 PM, scram69 wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Josh Rosenberg <mythtv at desh.info> wrote:
>>> I am also experiencing this; it's quite annoying.  I'm happy to
>>> provide debugging info to anyone who would like to look at it.  Is
>>> there a proper place beyond this list to report a bug?
>> The mythcommflag "Failed with exit status 140" message usually
>> indicates that mythcommflag has segfaulted.  If you capture a stack
>> trace, you will usually find that it has crashed somewhere in the
>> ffmpeg code, and this is strongly suspected to be a result of a glitch
>> in the recording that the ffmpeg code doesn't handle robustly.  This
>> behavior is present in the current Master, 0.26, and other earlier
>> versions.
>>
>> The next logical question is, why then doesn't mythfrontend similarly
>> crash during playback of such recordings?  The most likely reason is
>> that mythcommflag initializes the decoder with a different set of
>> flags/options for performance reasons, but perhaps there is a better
>> explanation.
>>
>> Jim
> Thanks, Jim.  Reading the list, I was beginning to suspect it was the
> ffmpeg issue in 0.26 that people are seeing.  I was just confused at
> first by the "mythtv backend setup has closed unexpectedly" messages
> that Mythbuntu would throw when this happened - typically blaming
> /usr/bin/mythpreviewgen.
>
> It seems to happen only when transcoding recordings from my NBC
> station: KNTVHD off Comcast QAM.

On 0.25 (under uBuntu 12.04), I had the occasional commflag job fail as
described here, often rerunning the job, it would run all the way
through, often detecting no commercial breaks, upon upgrading to 0.26,
almost every commflag job failed, those that didn't fail, would sit
there showing "Initializing buffer" or something similar, but would
never change, upon investigation, mythcommflag had crashed, but the
backend still thought the commflag job was running.  Since commflagging
in Australia has always been hit and miss, I simply no longer commflag
anything.