[mythtv-users] MythBuntu Mythcommflag closed

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 20:49:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:

> The mythcommflag "Failed with exit status 140" message usually
> indicates that mythcommflag has segfaulted.  If you capture a stack
> trace, you will usually find that it has crashed somewhere in the
> ffmpeg code, and this is strongly suspected to be a result of a glitch
> in the recording that the ffmpeg code doesn't handle robustly.  This
> behavior is present in the current Master, 0.26, and other earlier
> versions.
>
> The next logical question is, why then doesn't mythfrontend similarly
> crash during playback of such recordings?  The most likely reason is
> that mythcommflag initializes the decoder with a different set of
> flags/options for performance reasons, but perhaps there is a better
> explanation.
>
> Just to add my two cents worth. . . I noticed this happening last fall (26
time frame?). I run from master, so I cannot pinpoint a particular point in
the releases that it occurred. What I have discovered is that mythcommflag
almost never fails on my OTA recordings which during the fall, winter and
spring account for about 80% of my recordings which average about 50 per
week.  It almost always fails on recordings that come from my HDHR-PRIME
(with cablecard).

Before I upgraded the firmware on the HDHR-PRIME, it was 100% failure.  Now
it is about 50% failure.  I've been considering trying Silicon Dust's beta
firmware, but as of yet, have not.  I've read on the list that at least one
person has had poor results with it (and didn't know how to go backwards in
firmware updates).

FWIW, my OTA come from two plain-Jane HDHR tuners.

Ken E.