[mythtv-users] Turning TV (or receiver) on kills HD-PVR recording

eric millham emillham at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 18:37:25 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi all -
>>
>> I've noticed an odd problem with my HD-PVR for a while.
>>
>> If there's a recording in progress, and I turn on the TV (which also turns
>> on the A/V receiver which feeds the TV via HDMI), the recording pauses for
>> about ten seconds, which basically renders it unwatchable, even though the
>> HD-PVR starts recording again after the pause.
>>
>> Anyone else seen this (and have a fix)?
>>
>> Ubuntu 12.04
>> Myth 0.25.1-fixes
>> HD-PVR (latest firmware)
>> Motorola cable box feeding HD-PVR
>> Sony STR-DG1200 receiver
>> Sharp Aquos TV
>>

> Do you have the same cable STB plugged directly into the TV?  The STB
> should be dedicated to the HD-PVR and should not be connected to any other
> output devices.
>
> If you want to be able to record with the HD-PVR and watch Cable live
> bypassing MythTV, you should really have two STBs.
>
> /Brian/

Glad someone else asked this since I've been stewing on it for months. I
think Brian has it figured out. If the STB, in my case DTV, is plugged into
the TV or receiver using HDMI then my theory is the device somehow notifies
the STB when turning off and the STB glitches while evaluating DRM or
something....  The HDPVR recovers but leaves the recording with what I
would call a "period of ugliness" that commskip cannot get past and usually
dies. Plus when I hit this region during playback sound gets out of sync
and I have to exit return to correct.

I keep planning to unplug the hdmi but my wife does like to watch DTV
directly, especially with Myth liveTV being a work in progress (sort of).

Questions (assuming you can get past the use requirement that someone would
like to use their STB for two purposes and not pay 10+ month to get around
this one issue):

Maybe I should just split the rgb / spdif output somehow instead and not
use hdmi?
Or is there a cable that would block, or not support at all, this "reverse"
signal?
Is this what "reverse sensing" is all about?
Maybe a HDFury would mask it? Been thinking about getting one of those for
when D-Day comes anyhow.

Thanks,
Eric