[mythtv-users] Problems with KnoppMyth profile for Harmony remote?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Feb 3 15:34:00 UTC 2013

On 03/02/13 13:12, Scott Simpson wrote:
> On 02/02/2013 07:34 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 2/2/2013 18:29, SCOTTSIMPSON1240 wrote:
>>> I'm trying to set up my Logitech remote using the instructions
>>> at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup. I believe
>>> that the KnoppMyth profile from Logitech is broken (I have a Harmony
>>> 720).
>>>
>>> In the Logitech software on my Windows computer I added the device
>>> KnoppMyth per the instructions. Before I add the device to any
>>> Activities, I go to Settings->Customize Buttons and I see two columns:
>>> Button and Command. All the Command pull down are empty. I think they
>>
>> There is no such thing as a "KnoppMyth" profile, as there is no such
>> thing as a "KnoppMyth" IR receiver.  All you're seeing in the Harmony
>> software is some configuration some user set up for their KnoppMyth
>> system, that ended up getting pushed to the global database.
>>
>> 2. Find a profile in the Harmony software that matches that receiver, or
>
> OK, I can do this, but the information at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup is now wrong. Worse,
> it (and the Logitech setup software) is misleading and wrong and now a task that
> should take minutes will take much longer. It seems that between the time that
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup was written and now,
> Logitech has screwed up their MythTV entry and invalidated the wiki. This is a
> shame and the easiest solution would be to have Logitech fix their database but
> I imagine with the inertia of large companies, this won't happen.
>
> I don't think the page http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup
> should be abandoned. The diatribe on the Logitech remotes is really good (and I
> learned that you can switch devices without powering them all off and the person
> that wrote it has a good discussion of the period key). For now I'll find a
> profile that works but has a funny name (I'll think I'll try Karl's STR-DA5300ES
> entry) and go from there. (I'm using an Iguanaworks IR receiver so I recompiled
> atrpms lircd which doesn't have Iguanaworks support).

Don't get too upset with Logitech. The system they use is essentially
crowd-sourcing, where a buyer of a universal remote contributes to their
database by identifying their hardware and then using it to program their remote
from the original that came with the hardware.

This works well when you have actual hardware controlled by an actual remote you
bought with the hardware. Mythtv, unfortunately, confuses their system by being
able to use almost any hardware and remote as every system is unique.

I have often wished for a profile in their database which would allow me to
program my Harmony 600 as a standard keyboard. Unfortunately, the only keyboard
profiles I have been able to find resolutely ignore the alpha keys and only
permit you to use the 'special' multi-media ones, some of which can't be
transferred through X. Regrettably, I do not have an infra-red keyboard so as to
be able to upload the codes I want to use.

--

Mike Perkins