[mythtv-users] Problems with KnoppMyth profile for Harmony remote?

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Sun Feb 3 04:56:55 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> On 2/2/2013 18:29, SCOTTSIMPSON1240 wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to set up my Logitech remote using the instructions
>> at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/**Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup>
>> **. I believe
>> that the KnoppMyth profile from Logitech is broken (I have a Harmony 720).
>>
>> In the Logitech software on my Windows computer I added the device
>> KnoppMyth per the instructions. Before I add the device to any
>> Activities, I go to Settings->Customize Buttons and I see two columns:
>> Button and Command. All the Command pull down are empty. I think they
>> should be populated. Since they aren't populated, I can't have my remote
>> send any codes. I think this is a bug in the Logitech KnoppMyth profile.
>> Anyone else having this problem? (I've sent mail to Logitech too but I
>> don't know if they will respond).
>>

> There is no such thing as a "KnoppMyth" profile, as there is no such thing
> as a "KnoppMyth" IR receiver.  All you're seeing in the Harmony software is
> some configuration some user set up for their KnoppMyth system, that ended
> up getting pushed to the global database.
>
> 1. Figure out what IR receiver you have plugged into your system.
> 2. Find a profile in the Harmony software that matches that receiver, or
> program a new one using the remote bundled with said receiver.
> 3. If `irw` does not pick up keypresses from your remote, use `irrecord`
> to program an lircd.conf file for the remote.
> 4. If MythTV does not respond to keypresses from your remote, write an
> lircrc to map those named keys in lircd.conf to keypresses understood by
> MythTV.

 I have a Harmony 700 and was not satisfied with the Myth-related profiles
I found, and unfortunately I couldn't find any list of devices for the
Harmony (their software only supports searching, no list by category, etc.)
On the advice of someone else (in a post I found somewhere, maybe on this
list?), I set it up as a Sony STR-DA5300ES A/V receiver because it had a
lot of remote buttons. I have attached my lircd.conf for it if you want to
use it. It's pretty well documented with the corresponding Sony remote key
name so you can configure your Harmony with the same keys. Note that my
remote has a weird bug or something where it normally takes two button
presses for the signal to be recognized. If the remote is already "awake"
(screen on), then it usually works with the first press. Strange. It's
possible there's something wrong with my lircd.conf (say some header
settings) but I don't know enough about it to even guess what it might be.
We've lived with it for a few years now, so it's not too onerous.

Karl