[mythtv-users] REMINDER: Back Up Your Database.

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Dec 31 22:54:12 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Gary Buhrmaster" <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>

> > It's not "backed up", until it's on at least 4 pieces of media, in
> > at least 3 cities, in at least two states.
>
> If that is your rule, it is not yet backed up.
>
> It is not "backed up" until it has been tested with a restore.

I just addressed that in a different reply, but you're right: I should
have mentioned it there too.

> On a regular basis the backup *must* be restored to a
> (test) environment, and the contents validated. Not every
> time, but on a regular basis to validate your process is working.
>
> I know of someone who was religious about running a backup
> job. For years. When the inevitable happened, they went to
> their backup tapes. Nothing was on them. The tapes had
> the write protect tab on. They had not bothered to check the
> results of the backup job. And had never tested a restore.

Had that happen to a client long enough ago that the drives were
SCSI 140MB 5.25" half-heights.

Had to get a matching drive and do a logic board swap to recover it.

> As an aside, I would recommend (for a database) to not
> only backup the database, but to run maintenance jobs
> to validate the integrity, and update statistics on a
> regular basis.

There's a second script that does that, is there not?

Cheers,
-- jra