[mythtv-users] (somewhat off-topic) compiling the TBS 6981 driver

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 31 15:05:08 UTC 2013

Thanks Stephen:

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> I have a TBS5922 USB DVB-S2 box, and I have never had any problems
> with the install, but I have been looking at automating it using dkms,
> so I have some idea of how it works.  Your install procedure above
> looks fine to me, and I presume that you checked the output of the
> make and make install commands to see if there were any errors.

I believe I did: it looked like a non-error exit, though I did not check
the exit code.
I'll redo that and check very carefully...
...yes, make completed with exit code 0.

> I would first suggest checking that the install did actually work.
> This should show the *.ko driver files installed in the correct spot:
>
> ls -al /lib/modules/`uname
> -r`/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/*tbs*
>
> This is what I get:

Yes, I also get a similar bunch of files in the equivalent place for my
kernel and card.

> Check the files dates and make sure they match when you did the
> install, and that your tbs6981fe.ko is there.

Yes and yes.

>  I am not sure if the
> TBS6981 needs a firmware file, but check to see if any have been
> installed:
>
> find /lib/firmware -iname "dvb-fe-cx24116.fw"
> find /lib/firmware -iname "*tbs*.fw"
> find /lib/firmware -iname "v4l-cx23885-avcore-01.fw"
>
> This is what I get:
>
> /lib/firmware/dvb-fe-cx24116.fw
> /lib/firmware/dvb-usb-tbsqbox-id5926.fw
> /lib/firmware/dvb-usb-tbsqbox-id5922.fw
> /lib/firmware/v4l-cx23885-avcore-01.fw

Aha: here I only get the last one:
/lib/firmware/v4l-cx23885-avcore-01.fw

Note that at some point (before posting here) I found a place on the net
that suggested copying that particular file (v4l-cx23885-avcore-01.fw) from
the drivers package to /lib/firmware. I checked and found I already had a
file by that name in /lib/firmware, but with a different md5sum. So I
overwrote it with the one from the drivers package, by hand (cp). I don't
have any /lib/firmware/tbs*fw and I have wome unrelated
/lib/firmware/dvb*fw.

> Check that the TBS hardware is actually visible to the system:
>
> lspci | grep -i tbs

No, I get empty output here. What could I do?

> Next, I would see what happens when you try to load the driver
> manually:
>
> modprobe tbs6981fe.ko

FATAL: Module tbs6981fe.ko not found.

Further suggestions gratefully received!