[mythtv-users] REMINDER: Back Up Your Database.

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 12:21:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 4:51 AM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> My Commercial Backup Rule:
>
> It's not "backed up", until it's on at least 4 pieces of media, in at
> least 3 cities, in at least two states.

If that is your rule, it is not yet backed up.

It is not "backed up" until it has been tested with a restore.

On a regular basis the backup *must* be restored to a
(test) environment, and the contents validated.  Not every
time, but on a regular basis to validate your process is working.

I know of someone who was religious about running a backup
job.  For years.  When the inevitable happened, they went to
their backup tapes.  Nothing was on them.  The tapes had
the write protect tab on.  They had not bothered to check the
results of the backup job.  And had never tested a restore.

As an aside, I would recommend (for a database) to not
only backup the database, but to run maintenance jobs
to validate the integrity, and update statistics on a
regular basis.