[mythtv-users] (somewhat off-topic) compiling the TBS 6981 driver

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 31 10:55:28 UTC 2013

 I have a TBS 6981 dual tuner dvb-s2 card that has been working in a
dedicated mythbuntu machine (on and off) for at least a couple of years.
Whenever a new kernel is published I have to recompile the driver, which is
a minor pain and sometimes breaks things.

This time the system was messy enough that I restarted it all from scratch,
wiping the disk and doing a fresh install of Mythbuntu 12.04.3. However, on
recompiling the driver, it doesn't come up in dmesg as it's supposed to.

The instructions in the README_TBS6981 of the zip file of the drivers,
http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/docum...rs_v130927.zip<http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/document/common/tbs-linux-drivers_v130927.zip>,
and also at various other places such as
http://www.robclarkey.com/technology...-ubuntu-11-04/<http://www.robclarkey.com/technology/2012/06/05/installing-tbs6981-dvb-s2-dual-tuner-on-ubuntu-11-04/>,
which have worked for me in the past, suggest that on successful make
&&
make install, after a reboot the card should appear in dmesg.

Summary of procedure:

sudo su
cd /usr/src
apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential cvs
libncurses5-dev gcc rar tar gzip
mkdir tbs6981
cd tbs6981
wget
http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/document/common/tbs-linux-drivers_v130927.zip
unzip tbs-linux-drivers_v130927.zip
tar xvfj linux-tbs-drivers.tar.bz2
cd linux-tbs-drivers
./v4l/tbs-x86_64.sh
make && make install
shutdown -r now

After the reboot, the card should appear in
dmesg | fgrep frontend

but now it doesn't!

The supplied readme and the various help files / tutorials / blog posts I
found on the net all seem to assume that, if the make and make install
completed without errors, the card will appear in dmesg. None of them
provided any debugging suggestions on what to do if it doesn't.

The OS is a fresh install of the latest Mythbuntu, with updates, giving
Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.8.0-34-generic x86_64)

Has anyone had a similar experience? Can anyone offer any clues?
Thanks