[mythtv-users] REMINDER: Back Up Your Database.

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Dec 31 05:00:02 UTC 2013

"Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt" <acstadt at stadt.ca> wrote:
>On 30/12/13 11:26 PM, tortise wrote:
>> On 31/12/2013 4:38 p.m., Jay Ashworth wrote:
>>> Every night.
>>>
>>> My personal recommendation, to avoid WAF crashes like the on another
>
>>> poster
>>> is impaled on, is to run the mythconverg_backup.pl script from cron
>>> every day
>>> at 4am, and then *copy the created backup file to every spinning
>>> drive you
>>> have installed on your machine*.  That way, if you ever have to
>>> restorr, you
>>> have 3, 4, (5, 6, 7... :-) chances to have a good copy, and you
>don't
>>> care
>>> which drives might not be mounted at the time.
>>>
>>> Make it your New Year's Resolution.  Go check now: do you have a
>current
>>> backup of your DB?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> -- jra
>>
>> Great idea.
>> {Smugly thinks to self I don't need to....}
>> Hmmm, mine hasn't run for a good three months now....!!!
>> Anyone else?!
>> In anticipation of the advice, and avoiding risks of impalation best
>> sort out why!
>> Thanks indeed for the post jra
>>
>I do have to admit that at one point, mythconverg_backup stopped
>working
>for me.  I had transitioned from packages to git, and somehow an
>outdated backup script got left in my path.  Of course I figured this
>out when I needed the backup.  Luckily the fs that hosted the database
>had been backed up... but..

That could be the cause of my mythconverg_backup failure. I remember now, when I updated it from 0.24 to 0.25, I ran into many problems and ended up moving from packages to git before I could make it work. I may well have ended up using the 0.24 script to backup the 0.25 system. In your case did it fail silently and produce empty(ish) backups?