[mythtv-users] Mythcommflag tweaking

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Dec 30 05:19:51 UTC 2013

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 19:46:43 -0700, you wrote:

>Hey mythtv users,
>
>MythTV commercial detection is working for me most of the time, but
>sometimes it's incorrectly detecting especially long breaks; 5 and 6
>minutes, during a show where breaks are at most 2:30 (and usually
>1:40-1:55).
>
>I recall there being a setting in the commflagging setup for a "maximum
>commercial skip" time; if mythcommflag detected a "commercial" to go longer
>than this length of time, the break would be ended. However, it seems this
>is no longer an option, at least not in the GUI. Is this something that was
>removed, or moved, does anyone know? Is there a way to configure it again?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Will

I can remember setting that option in the past, but I can never
remember where any option like that is in the GUI unless I use it
frequently.  Like you, I tried to find it but was unable to by just
browsing the settings.  But I found that it is still present in my
settings table - it is called MaximumCommercialSkip, and I have it set
to 600 (presumably seconds).  So I grepped the 0.27-fixes source code
and found references to it in
mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/globalsettings.cpp.  On loading the I
globalsettings.cpp file I found this code:

static GlobalSpinBox *MaximumCommercialSkip()
{
    GlobalSpinBox *bs = new GlobalSpinBox("MaximumCommercialSkip", 0,
3600, 10);

    bs->setLabel(PlaybackSettings::tr("Maximum commercial skip
(secs)"));

    bs->setHelpText(PlaybackSettings::tr("MythTV will discourage long
manual "
                                         "commercial skips. Skips
which are "
                                         "longer than this will
require the "
                                         "user to hit the SKIP key
twice. "
                                         "Automatic commercial
skipping is "
                                         "not affected by this
limit."));

    bs->setValue(3600);

    return bs;
}

which means that it is in the playback settings.  So I went to Setup >
Video > Playback > Advert Skip 8/8) and there it was: Maximum advert
skip (secs).

There has got to be a better way to find obscure settings!

PS: We speak English English in New Zealand, not American English, so
wherever it says "Advert" above, you probably will need to substitute
"Commercial"