[mythtv-users] lossless_cut not removing correct section

D Pierson dallas8101 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 27 15:25:41 UTC 2013

It wasn't clear to me that it was as hopeless as you indicate.  So that leaves me with a couple of other question. My older script based on the removecommecials page did not seem to.  Which was why I had tried lossless_cut, which by the way has some very nice features.
1) Can you recommend anything that does work with HDHomeRun recordings?
2) Would a Ceton Infini card or network appliance work?

On Friday, December 27, 2013 7:45 AM, "rdvAndroid at gmail.com" <rdvandroid at gmail.com> wrote:

On 13-12-27 12:57 AM, D Pierson wrote:

> I use a HDHNomerun Prime unit to capture.  I have installed and run
> the lossless_cut application.  It will run and produce a video, but
> the parts being removed are not the sections as they appear/are
> specified to be in the cut list.  The cut list agrees with the times
> and frame numbers shown in the edit timeline where I specified the
> cuts (with some minimal changes due to keyframe adjustments).  I also
> ran using the concert mode to look at the individual pieces, and how
> they were cut.  The first one ends about a minute before it gets to
> the commercial, but the vlc player reports the correct amount of time
> (per the cut timeline in the log file http://pastebin.com/xDzdQm1Z) as
> its length. The second one started about 2 minutes before the end of
> the first commercial, and the third about 3 minutes.  The last frames
> in the last segment are the correct end of the movie.  One of the
> sections has the commercial in the center of the mkv segment, with
> parts of the desired content at the beginning and end.
>
> Here is the ll_report output
> http://pastebin.com/tSiMws4Y
>
> One of the questions I have is if mkvmerge is correctly handling the
> variable bit rate.  Is there some other option I have not setup
> correctly?
>
> My command line is:
> /usr/bin/lossless_cut -f "%DIR%/%FILE%" -m  "/var/lib/mythtv/videos"
> -w  "/var/lib/mythtv/videos/tmp" -k -l "/var/lib/mythtv/videos"
>
> and I am using the default config file.
>
> Dallas8101

D Pierson,
     Lossless_cut is a lost cause for HDHomerun recordings. It says as
much on its wiki page Known Issues section. I wrote the script and
tested many HDHomerun recordings sent to me by various users. The
current assumption is that HDHomerun records the OTA transmission "as
is" with variable bit rates and even mid recording switching (e.g.
during commercials) of HD to SD, 720p to 1080i ... etc.

If an "inconsistency" within the recording occurs the scripts, cut and
merge utility, "mkvmerge" is not capable of dealing with those changes
so the final video shows the results you reported. Until mkvmerge can
handle these type of recordings Lossless_cut is not an alternative for
HDHomerun users.

Doug