[mythtv-users] Best Way to Run Commercial Detection Jobs Not On Master Backend

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Thu Dec 26 22:20:29 UTC 2013

On 12/25/2013 9:37 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 12/25/2013 2:45 PM, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>> I plan on rebuilding my old server as a VM on this box.
>
> Are you running some other OSs on that which prevents you from simply
> running bare metal on it?  What tuner cards do you intend to use from
> within this VM?

Thank you for your reply.  I do not want any tuner cards in this VM.  I
strictly wish to use available processing power to reduce the load on my
master backend/frontend box that's connected to the TV in my living room.

>> However I will have a lot of available CPU power here and wondered
>> about building another VM who's sole purpose is to take some of the
>> commercial detection load off of my master backend.
>
> If it's on the same physical machine, why would you want to run a
> separate instance just for the jobqueue?

It's not the same physical machine.  My ESXi server is replacing an old
Pentium 3 box that served me faithfully for about 13 years.  The old box
ran FreeBSD and served SMTP, IMAP, DNS, DHCP, and several web sites.
I'm building a FreeBSD VM on this ESXi server to replace that one.
However I'll have a lot of free resources on that box and wish to build
another VM to run commercial detection jobs and take some of the load
off of my lower powered combo box.

Thanks,

Drew