[mythtv-users] Question on channel record removal

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 18:48:20 UTC 2013

On 12/26/2013 10:46 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I saw your post, but I suspect you run your backend as a 'real' server,
>> where I use the shutdown/wakeup method.
>>
>> I do prefer the --logpath option and do use logrotate to manage the
>> files. However, I have a cron job that moves the per-session logs into
>> mythVariousProgramName.log files.
>>
>> This is the part where someone says there's an easier way, but here are
>> the crontab/script, it really doesn't need to be hourly, I just set
>> it up when --logpath was introduced and never changed it:
>>
>>      http://pastebin.com/ShZztrLw
>>      http://pastebin.com/6yPdKx4U
>>
>> I does have the benefit of making zgreps for old log entries easy.
> I'm a little confused when you refer to the "--logpath option".  That
> just defaults to /var/log/mythtv correct?  By that are you simply
> referring to the 0.25 change to write to the new process/timestamp
> file names?

Just suggesting I use the same option you do.

> I actually like the idea of those scripts...that is getting everything
> into a one file per processes format.  However in my case that would
> remove the log files actively being written to...not sure how that'd
> work out.

You're right, it would pull the log out from under the running BE.

> It seems though that for a true mythbackend server, there just aren't
> any good options once --disable-mythlogserver has been used.  My
> mythbackend process sometimes runs non-stop for months, and apparently
> now has no mechanism for telling it to reopen the logs.  Up until 0.25
> I used "copytruncate" in my mythtv logrotate configuration, but that
> doesn't work out with the new file names at all.
>
> If various distros are using the --disable-mythlogserver option, what
> if anything are they doing about logrotate configurations?

I don't use it, but mythbuntu uses --syslog local7 and files like this:

     http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/mythtv/mythtv-master/view/head:/debian/mythtv-backend.logrotate

And probably (I don't know what theirs is) something like this:

     http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Simple_rsyslog_Configuration

(the 0.25 version at the bottom, before mythlogserver was implemented)

That gives you individual files and as far as I can tell, rsyslogd gets
the SIGHUP (reload) and may do what you want.

--
Bill