[mythtv-users] Best Way to Run Commercial Detection Jobs Not On Master Backend

Jon Heizer jheizer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 01:15:15 UTC 2013

On Dec 25, 2013 1:45 PM, "Drew Tomlinson" <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:

> I've been running a combo front/backend on an Athlon dual core box for
many years.  It works but it's a bit low powered for commercial detection
jobs, especially for HD streams.

> I've recently replaced an old P3 600 mhz unix server with a Xeon based
processor and have built a VMWare ESXi host.  I plan on rebuilding my old
server as a VM on this box.  However I will have a lot of available CPU
power here and wondered about building another VM who's sole purpose is to
take some of the commercial detection load off of my master backend.

> I'm not sure how to do this.  At first I assumed I would need to build a
slave backend.  However I have seen other threads that talk about there
being no reason to build a  slave backend unless there are tuners attached
as mythjobqueue can provide the function with much less overhead.

> Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this started?  I have
built a VM with Mythbuntu, choosing the slave backend option, but don't
really know how to get it to help with commercial detection jobs on the
master.

> Thanks,
>
> Drew

Run mythtv-setup like you are configuring a slave back end and then just
have mythjobqueue run instead of mythbackend.

Jon