[mythtv-users] mythcommflag logo detection does not work

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Tue Dec 24 17:21:28 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-12-24 at 10:24 -0500, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> >
> > The STB is a cable company supplied "motorola DCT700" into a PVR-150
>
> Which is why this works so well.  This is that same known quantity that
> I was talking about in my posting that mythcommflag (ffmpeg really)
> knows how to deal with really well.
>
> So your experience is in fact adding support to my theory (which in and
> of itself might be preaching to the choir) about the content of already
> encoded streams fouling up mythcommflag.
>
> Cheers,
> b.

Sorry to bust your theory, Brian... ;-) Daryl actually said that the
recordings from the PVR-150 were the ones that were ~40%ish. Which matches
with my experience--I've been using the PVR-500 as long as I've had myth
and the thing which changed and broke commflagging for me (I'd guess I'm
also at about the 40%ish mark) was the version change from 0.24 to 0.25. At
one point, I'd guess around mythtv version 0.22, Comcast switched to all
digital and I had to start using set top boxes, but commflagging still
worked great for me after that transition. However, I'd agree that it's
most likely due to changes in ffmpeg. Possibly the changes made to
accommodate the new encodings from OTA, QAM and CableCard made things worse
for the PVR-XXX encoding.

Karl