[mythtv-users] Motherboard / CPU recommendations

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Sun Dec 22 23:59:30 UTC 2013

2013/12/23 Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org>:
> On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote:
>> 2013/12/22 BobW <bob_pub_mailbox-mytv at yahoo.com>:
>>> Does anyone know of any useful links or resources for selecting a
>>> motherboard and CPU, (and video card), for a Mythtv, (Mythbuntu), build?
>>> []
>> Zotac D2550ITXS-B has an onboard GT610 and shares the fan between the
>> CPU and the GPU. I use it in one of my frontends with VDPAU + advanced
>> 2x as deinterlacer and it works nicely.
>>
>> I believe you can choose the -A version if you want to reuse an
>> existing power supply.
>>
>> It only has an Atom CPU, but if you're only playing back video
>> material which is supported by VDPAU, then you should be fine.
>
> The Atom CPU is a bit controversial on this list.  Some people really
> like them.  Some people like them for frontend only systems, with the
> backend on a more capable machine.  And other people just plain hate
> them all around.

...I was sure I read the word "frontend" in the original post, but
apparently I didn't. My post/recommendation is only relevant for a
dedicated frontend - Don't use a Atom-based system for a combined
backend/frontend.

If it's a combined backend/frontend, go for a Haswell-based processor
within your price range (even the cheap Pentium G3220 has 4-5x the
processing power of the Atom D2550 CPU):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)#List_of_Haswell_processors

As a motherboard I would just choose the cheapest MiniATX Intel
LGA1150 desktop board which had the connectors I needed.

Best regards
Kenni