[mythtv-users] http_proxy environment variable causing a raft of problems

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Dec 20 13:41:45 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 13:35 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> Perhaps you should set the appropriate environmental variables
> to bypass the proxy from your FE to your BE.

Hrm.  Did you see this part of my original message:

> > It is worth noting here that even when the http_proxy environment
> > variable is set, sockets between the FE and the BE do NOT actually
> > go through the proxy server, so the proxy server is not at fault
> > here, it's just the presence of the environment variable.

So just to make it more clear, the proxy is NOT involved in
communications between the FE and the BE.  The sockets between the FE
and BE are direct from the FE to the BE, not proxied.

> Typically this is
> done by using the no_proxy variable as:
> export no_proxy="localhost,127.0.0.0/8,::1"
> (obviously adding in your BE host).

Yes, I know all about this.

> Btw, if you really need to use a proxy, I would recommend
> moving to a transparent proxy using network intercept
> technology at your gateway(s) rather than explicit proxies.

That's just not how things are set up here and this set up works for
everything else except MythTV.  Do you really think it's acceptable to
have to re-engineer the network because 1 out of dozens of applications
is broken?

b.