[mythtv-users] HD Ringbuffer - recommended size?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Dec 20 07:06:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 1:40 AM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've done a little bit of reading on the HD Ringbuffer setting but some of
> it is very old so not sure it is accurate. Some of it seemed to indicate
> that it was only used on Live TV.

Yes, that is very old stuff... no ringbuffer anymore.

> Is the Ringbuffer setting still used in fixes/0.27? Just on LiveTV or
> elsewhere (ie playback or transcoding)?

Not used... instead it just records the shows consecutively when
watching live tv.  Causes a bit of a hiccup between shows, but it's
negligible, and made Live TV MUCH more user friendly.

> If I have 4Gb system memory, similar sized swap partition on SSD and
> database on SSD is there any benefit to setting it to a larger value
> (currently 4Mb I think)?

Larger value of what?  Swap?  You only need swap if your system is
swapping... odds are it's not with 4GB of RAM.

Is there some performance issue that your trying to resolve?