[mythtv-users] Moving frontend/backend to a new machine

Jon N jdnandroid at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 01:55:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:
> On 12/19/2013 12:52 PM, Matthias Thyroff wrote:

> Honestly, if you plan on a completely new linux install, the only thing
> you really need is the database.  If you are currently running your
> backend as the "root" user, then you will want to preserve (at a
> minimum) /root/.mythtv/config.xml.  If you are running as the "mythtv"
> user, look in the .mythtv directory of that user's home directory.  That
> contains the information for the system to talk to the database.

I have a big external drive (currently where my MythTV files are
stored, but I bought an even bigger drive for the new computer) that I
can use to save, and ferry, stuff between computers.  My mythbackend
runs under the mythtv user name, so I will be sure to preserve that,
at least.

> Like Matthias, I've moved equipment around a few times over the years
> (although not as many times.. but bigger (and more painful) jumps.. I'm
> at 64bit. :) ).  I've copied the entire /root/.mythtv directory and the
> entire /var/lib/mysql directory over (perhaps not the best practice, but
> it has worked well) to the remote host.  You could always do a mysqldump
> mythconverg > mythconverg.sql, copy the file over to the new host and
> run mysql < /root/mythconverg, and then set up the proper permissions
> for the user (from your config.xml file) in mysql to allow it to have
> full access to the mythconverg database.

Heck, I'm not even sure what you said, it would take me a while to
figure that out.  But I believe that the database backup and restore
scripts that come with one of the packages is supposed to do what I
need, and relatively painlessly too, so I'll stick with that for now.
That is, unless it turns out there is a 'gotcha' lurking out there
somewhere for me!

Thanks,
Jon