[mythtv-users] Moving frontend/backend to a new machine

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Thu Dec 19 21:00:00 UTC 2013

On 12/19/2013 03:38 PM, Rich West wrote:
> Getting back on track here, other items for the original requester to
> consider when moving the frontend/backed to a new machine are to:
> 1. maintain the same path(s) to your recording storage or be prepared to
> update the entry in your storage groups within mythtv-setup
> 2. Since the machine is a frontend-backend system, keep in mind that
> devices *may* likely change.  Recording devices, USB devices, network
> devices, etc.
> 3. I had been only referencing handling the backend.  Keep in mind that
> the frontend piles a lot in the .mythtv folder, like coverart and such
> (unless you changed the path to point elsewhere).  If the path changes,
> you will not get your coverart as you expect.
> 4. If you choose to copy data over vs moving over your hard disk, make
> sure you grab all of your coverart. :)
>
> There's more, but you get the idea.  Moving from one system to another
> isn't an insurmountable task, but it does take some perseverance and
> general under-the-hood linux know-how.  And you always have the list
> here to help in a pinch.

Almost forgot.. since this is a frontend machine, take note of your
installed themes.  If you installed a theme that is not part of the
distribution or capable of being downloaded within the mythtv frontend
app, you will have to download and install it manually (if you are
copying the data over to a new system).

-Rich