[mythtv-users] Mythweb - PHP Fatal Error

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu Dec 19 15:43:56 UTC 2013

I ran into a similar problem. I was getting:

server requested authentication method unknown to the client

I too spent some time with Google, played games with old_password set vs.
not set in my.cnf with no luck. Most of the advice said that the only way to
fix this was to downgrade PHP, which would be a huge hassle.

Then this thread came up. So I got to this part:

> set password for 'mythtv'@'127.0.0.%' = password('mythtv');
> set password for 'mythtv'@'127.0.1.%' = password('mythtv');

Interesting. I need to learn more about how wildcards in MySQL actually
work. Certainly not like one might expect. I did a grant for
'mythtv'@'%', and set the password for that as well, expecting that to
really be global. But it isn't. I had never heard of the "mysql.user"
table before, but I looked in there, and sure enough, while "show grants
for mythtv" shows the grants for 'mythtv'@'%', there are actually
separate entries in mysql.user for my backend, my old backend, and my
frontends, as well as for 'mythtv'@'localhost'. So I tried

set password for 'mythtv'@'localhost' = password('mythtv');

Progress (I think). I don't get an authentication error any more, now I
just get a page that has nothing but the text "MythTV", which is a link
to whatever URL I used to reach the page.

What's up with that? I think I'm close, but has anyone seen this and
know what step I'm missing?

If it matters:

OS: Fedora 19
MySQL: mariadb-5.5.33a-1