[mythtv-users] Computer hangs with "Please wait..." when playing recordings or watching TV

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Dec 19 00:29:48 UTC 2013

For the record I have noticed, as others seem to have that "Please
wait..." takes much more time in 0.27 than it used to in 0.26.  Nothing
has changed here except MythTV versions.  The network didn't magically
get flaky during that upgrade...

On Wed, 2013-12-18 at 15:08 -0800, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> If recordings are taking a long time to open, do you have any
> network filesystems mounted mythfrontend may be searching through,

I do.  But this is only because using the mythtv:// protocol to get
recordings doesn't work in 0.27 any more.  I was forced to NFS mount the
storage directories because of this breakage.  And TBH, that's only one
of a handful of issues with 0.27.  Continuing TBH, if I had hindsight
before upgrading from 0.26 to 0.27 I wouldn't have done it.  I would
have waited for these issues to be shaken out.  But I digress.

> Is it possible the drives storing the
> recordings have parked or spun down due to idleness, and needed to be
> started up before you can access them?

No.  As I said, nothing hardware, or O/S-wise changed.  Just MythTV
versions.

> Mythfrontend needs to open a new
> connection to the backend to stream the file through.  Is it possible
> there is something flaky with your network that delays this process?

The network is fine.  Nothing else except MythTV has seen any problem
since the day I did that upgrade.

Now I have:
      * mythtv:// protocol fails to find recordings
      * FE is "AWOL" when left idle for too long (i.e. more than an hour
        or two) and needs to be restarted
      * Can't play recordings-in-progress and that includes LiveTV
      * Really long waits for playback to start while seeing "Please
        wait..."

Cheers,
b.