[mythtv-users] DVB T2 Tuners For UK Freeview.

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Wed Dec 18 18:24:21 UTC 2013

On 18/12/13 17:06, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 Dec 2013 16:32:24 Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> On 18/12/2013 13:43, Ian Barton wrote:
>>> A bit more research shows that the current Arch kernel has this problem.
>>> It's relatively simple to patch the Arch kernel. However, I assume this
>>> is a single tuner and currently costs around £80 in the UK. For £90 I
>>> can get the TBS6280 from British Telecom, which has two tuners and is
>>> known to work.
>> Cheaper still:
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keyw
>> ords=tbs6220&sprefix=tbs622%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atbs6220
> That's the single tuner version.

I got mine from these guys  http://www.quietpc.com/tbs. I've had a lot
of stuff from them over the years and always has very good service from
them.

I have both a 6981 and 6280.

One word of warning about these cards they use closed source drivers
which if you only have TBS cards wont be a problem but if you have other
video cards you can run into problems if they require newer kernels. The
reason is their drivers are based on an older version of the v4l source
tree. When you install their drivers it also replaces many of the other
drivers from the media and v4l trees with versions from their source.
Any newer drivers not in their source then fail to load because of
symbol version errors.

This is what TBS say about fixing the missing/broken drivers in there
v4l tree -  "currently the only way that to be achieved is patch our
driver package to include support for them. in near future we can
consider update our V4L tree to the latest, but that's very risky for
us, because most of our Linux customers are doing embedded systems with
our cards, usually they use older kernels and everything in the current
TBS Linux driver package is very well tested".

Paul H.