[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun - Comcast shut off clear QAM

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 16:47:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM, James Hall <Hall.JamesR at gmail.com> wrote:

> Comcast shut off our clear QAM today. From the sounds of it the new head
> cheese at the FCC is consumer hostile as well.. I've read comments from him
> that he thinks ISPs should be able to charge Netflix more money because
> more of their traffic happens to be going to the ISPs customers. Now I get
> to do the CableCard tapdance and hope Comcast doesn't screw me over more.
> Only reminds me of the line in Star Wars: "I have altered the deal, pray I
> don't alter it further

It actually went quite smoothly.  There was a bit of back-and-forth as I
tried to get them to mail me a card and they said they would and then
didn't, eventually I just went to the office and picked one up.  They only
had M-cards there, so that wasn't even an issue.  Once I got it home
activation went off without a hitch.

Comcast forced my hand, but I would have upgraded to the prime at some
point anyway, and I am happy that I can now use the HDHomeRun to record
many more channels.  It's nice not seeing even a "Record Later" in the
schedule never mind a conflict.