[mythtv-users] Moving from package to compile from source

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Dec 18 16:14:18 UTC 2013

On 12/18/2013 09:08 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> Back around .16 or so, when I was building from source because no one was
> packaging, my approach was to create a script in the toplevel directory
> called "build" and put all my commands into it, so I always knew how the
> current build was done and could recreate it if necessary, a tactic I
> recommend for any source build of anything.

Further to this, there are a couple of pages on the wiki about 'building
from source' for various distro's. The pages for Fedora are now really
old. I never updated the one I did for Fedora 12, but you should take a
look at them, There are complete scripts for grabbing dependencies and
for making and make installing the system.

The Fedora versions were written on the basis that the build was a bare
metal install. Remember that there is no automatic dependency checking
(or grabbing!).. Not such a problem if you are deleting an existing
'apt-get' install. It's the '-devel' files which are a killer to get
figured out.

One gotcha: the backend must be installed *and running* before you make
and install the plugins. Which means you should probably debug your
systemd startup script, before building the plugins: you will have to at
some point.

Using the scripts makes it so much easier: start it up, go get coffee
etc. shovel snow, whatever.

And youy can *exactly* specify the switches you wnat, and specify where
the exexcutables get installed.

Geoff

Who is just about to update the OS to Fedora 20, and may get around to
writing an update for the wiki...

G.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor