[mythtv-users] VBI/Closed Captions with HD-PVR

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Dec 17 03:25:46 UTC 2013

> I recently upgraded my system to use a 3.6.7 kernel, but it appears my
> hardware/driver combination does not support VBI. I've tried my HVR-1250,
> HVR-2250, and HVR-950Q. I do not any any spare PCI slots to use a PVR-500 or
> PVR-150.
>
> Has anyone on the list been able to get this to work with aa HVR-1250,
> HVR-2250, or HVR-950Q?

I haven't tried the process described above, but I'm familiar with all
the drivers in question and can probably offer some useful info:

The 950q supports VBI capture but the driver has a bug where it
doesn't work unless video streaming has been started.  I would guess
that the script in question probably just tries to use the /dev/vbi
device without ever trying to use the /dev/video0 device.  You can
probably work around the bug by just doing a "dd" against the
/dev/video0 to /dev/null to get streaming started.

The HVR-2250 does work with VBI capture, although there's a bug where
you'll only get CC1 and CC2 (not CC3/CC4).  Most people won't care
about that, but it's worth mentioning.

The VBI capture for the HVR-1250 was working the last time I looked at
it, although admittedly it's been over a year.

Regarding John's comments about special characters such as the music
symbol - this is almost certainly not a driver issue but rather some
issue with ccextractor or MythTV's rendering of the characters in
question.  The driver itself just delivers the raw VBI waveform, so
there isn't much opportunity for the driver to screw up the case for
those special characters.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs