[mythtv-users] OT - UK interest, 5 more BBC channels now in HD

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 10:38:41 UTC 2013

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 10:03:06 +0000
John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

> On 16/12/13 08:12, Karl Dietz wrote:
> > On 16.12.2013 03:10, blind Pete wrote:
> >>
> >> Just an idle thought that might be worthwhile...
> >>
> >> Would it be sensible to look for new transport streams or do
> >> a tuning scan as part of the normal EIT scan, or every twentieth
> >> EIT scan?  If something is found a pop-up could ask; yes, no,
> >> or later.
> >
> > The though is good, but its not as easy as it appears.

OK  I get half a point for trying.

> > For a plain old cable setup you get the list of transports delivered
> > non-stop (NITa) and could simply handle it whenever there is a new
> > version. If there is a transport that carries "all SI" you can then
> > move there and get all channels within seconds.
> >
> > But what do you do now? Ask your kids about the channels? (or
> > whoever sits in front of the tv right now)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Karl

Rather than interrupt a movie, set a flag, then next time you
enter mythtv-setup, or the view the schedule, or some other
"command" screen display a pop-up.  Keep a list of stations
that have been refused and never bother me about them again.

> > PS: The "all SI" transport can also be found on satelite setups,
> > but is not so common on terrestrial setups. But the latter need some
> > reachitecturing anyway due to the mix of fillers, SFN, MFN that you
> > might be receiving at a single location. Mostly an issue between
> > DVB-T regions. While you get "more channels" you also get "more
> > duplicates" sometimes with the same ID, sometimes not.

Does "same ID" necessarily mean a duplicate?  Could the sets of
duplicates be listed as sets (with signal strength) for administrator
selection?

> At present my TV seems to flag a changed channel lineup every few
> days.   I get DVB-T/T2 from a single main-chain Freeview UK
> transmitter. In MythTV I delete all channels and rescan all known
> multiplexes, with timeout disabled and links to other detected muxes
> enabled.  It all goes smoothly, and only the download of icons has
> seemed in need of some attention; stuartm has been active there in
> the last few days, but I don't yet have the updates.

Every few day?  That seems like something is wrong, but you only
want to be notified about things that have changed.

--
testing
bP