[mythtv-users] HDPVR HD Recordings are in 4:3 format

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Dec 15 04:08:24 UTC 2013

On 12/14/2013 01:37 AM, Karl Newman wrote:
> Okay, not terribly surprised given my history with X and this
> motherboard, but this didn't work at all. DisplaySize is accepted, but
> Myth apparently doesn't use it.

Does X use it (as it's not a MythTV setting, MythTV can't use it)?  Did
you see the line in the Xorg.log saying it was being used to compute the
DPI?  What's the output of:

xdpyinfo | grep -B2 resolution

when you're trying to set a proper aspect ratio (which, it seems from
the below, would be 4:3, right?)?

> I used the actual measured display size. Maybe it can't use non-square
> pixels (1280x720 pixels is 16:9 but 559x419 mm is 4:3)? I couldn't
> find the "Monitor Aspect Ratio" setting per se, but I did see
> something like that if I enable separate modes for GUI and video playback.

You should only see it if you enable Xinerama.  It is in the Appearance
settings.

> I don't use that feature, so maybe that's why it's not working for me.
> Anyway, I went back to using the Aspect Override to fake that I have a
> 16:9 screen

No, the Video aspect override fakes that that video is whatever aspect
you specified.  You're not saying, "My monitor is actually this aspect,"
you're saying, "Ignore what the video says and pretend the video is
actually this aspect."

Now, the "Monitor aspect ratio" setting does say to use the specified
aspect ratio for the display, but it's only presented when Xinerama is
enabled in X because without Xinerama, we can get the aspect information
from X, so all that needs to be done is to configure X correctly.  So,
for you, all that needs to be done is to find the proper configuration
for your system.

> so that recordings will fill the screen and not be horizontally
> squashed. So, from my perspective there is still a need for that setting.

 From my perspective, a setting that's only useful to people as a
partial workaround for a broken configuration isn't
necessary--especially because a) it may make things seems to work
properly such that users stop trying to fix their broken configurations
(which is exactly what it seems you've done), and b) having a setting
that says, "Every single video I will ever play on this system is
actually 4:3 (or 16:9 or whatever)--even if that video says otherwise,"
makes no more sense than having a setting that says, "Every single video
I will ever play on this system is actually 1280x720, regardless of what
the video says" (because videos are encoded differently and they
actually provide information on how they're encoded, so we should never
have a setting that says to *always* ignore the information in the
video), and c) the setting only adds to confusion (especially since it
does something that is never necessary).

It would make far more sense to have a setting that did what you're
abusing the "Video aspect ratio" to do.  You're using it to compensate
for the fact that your display aspect ratio is set incorrectly, which
means you really want a setting that allows you to specify the
display/monitor aspect ratio.

That said, there's no need for that setting because we get proper aspect
ratio from a properly-configured X server (as long as Xinerama isn't
enabled).  So, all that's needed is for you to find the proper
configuration for your system, and /everything/ (not just 4:3 videos)
will work properly for you.

Mike