[mythtv-users] Will the builtin player play MKVs these days?

Michael Stucky mike at stucky.us
Fri Dec 13 15:11:32 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Dan Wilga <
mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:

> On 12/12/13, 6:47 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>
>> I had this comment from Michael Stucky in July, after I had added his
>> suggested mkv output option to my mythDVBcut script to enable it to cut HD
>> mpeg recordings, with which the mplex remuxer apparently failed.
>>
>>> I should have mentioned above, once the file is in an MKV container it
>>> is no longer in a format that MythTV considers a "recording". In other
>>> words, it is not editable or seekable as a recording. You need to use
>>> "mythexport" or some other script like that to move it to your MythTV Video
>>> library where you can play, fastforward, rewind, etc. as you would any
>>> imported video.
>>>
>> Is that still true?
>>
> Not entirely. I have converted a large number of recordings to MKV and the
> ability to skip/fast forward/rewind/bookmark/etc. is still available. It's
> just necessary to run "mythcommflag --rebuild" on the file after the
> change, to rebuild the seektable.
>
> However, despite having done this, my attempts to edit these recordings
> with the built-in editor result in a complaint that there is no seektable.
> I've been using avidemux to cut commercials, instead.
>
>  It is my understanding that running "mythcommflag --rebuild" on an MKV
will actually remove the seektable from the database (at least that is how
it worked for MythTV 0.26, I have not tested it under 0.27 as I have gone
back to using mythtranscode). Thus, my comment to John that the MKV files
were not editable or seekable. This was correct behavior (which could have
changed for 0.27) since MythTV wasn't designed (this is my understanding
which could be incorrect -- and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will
correct me) to edit/seek within an MKV container.