[mythtv-users] Move CableCard from STB to HDHR Prime?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 01:17:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 12:22 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Exactly what I looking for!
>
> Guess I know what I'm doing on my lunch break tomorrow...
>
> Do I need to bring my HDHR with me? Call the number ahead of time?

Nope (and it would not help if you did).  When a CableCARD
is plugged into a new device the host and the CableCARD
generate a "magic number" that is saved (in both) and has
to be given to Comcast as part of the activation.  You enter
the Host id, the CableCARD id, and the Data (the Data
being the "magic number") into the online activation
process (either online, if your area works that way, or
read it over the phone for those that don't, or for those
that online activation fails).  [For those that care, both
the Host and the CableCARD will generate a completely
new Data for any *new* pairing.  There is no going back.
Once unpaired, plugging the same CableCARD into the
same Host will generate a completely new Data.  However,
if you unplug the CableCARD (or it gets unplugged), and
then it is plugged back into the exact same Host, it will
reuse the existing info).  The local office where you pick
up the CableCARD has no way to activate the CableCARD
(which is why bringing the HDHR in does not help).

In my case, I walked into the local office, waited in the
queue (guess which times tend have the longest lines....
Can you say Saturday and Lunch time?  Sorry..), and
when I got to the CSR, I said I wanted to pick up a
new CableCARD.  They went to the back room, bringing
back a new CableCARD, and after the paperwork was
finished, I walked out.  Less than 3 minutes with the CSR,
about 15 minutes waiting in line.  It probably would have
taken longer if I needed the entire "kit" (which has
helpful things like some paper telling what a CableCARD
is, and how to insert it, and the number to call (do not
call that number, use the MythTV wiki entry to get directly
to CableCARD support if online activation does not work)),
but this was not my first rodeo, so I declined the CSR
searching for a nicely packaged "kit" (I got a raw card).

Make sure you get an M-Card.  While Comcast has
mostly purged S-Cards from their offices, some are
still kept (for some very old TV's that require them).
It should look something like one of the following
(depending on whether you are a Motorola or Cisco/SA
franchise, Comcast is *mostly* Motorola, but not 100%):
http://goo.gl/LgNQ8P
http://goo.gl/TkyfJc

Gary