[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun - Comcast shut off clear QAM

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 05:57:06 UTC 2013

On 12/11/13, 12:48 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 5:45 AM, Stephen P. Villano
> <stephen.p.villano at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Strange. The client end for my Fios is Cisco, so one would expect the
>> headend to be Cisco as well. Meanwhile, my cablecard *is* a Motorola.
>> Is this a case of competing services *not* actively making their client
>> software incompatible?
> Are you talking about the ONT?  GPON is a real standard.
> DOCSIS modems are also fully interoperable.  It is the
> (at this point legacy) video service that uses proprietary
> encryption.

I'm talking about my Cisco STB, Motorola cablecard for my HDHR Prime and
the more typical sabotage between vendors of competing devices/services.
As in Motorola playing best, or at all, only on Motorola STB's and the
converse for Cisco.
DOCSIS is a standard, so incompatibility need not apply any more than
any internet device that has an RFC cannot diverge from the RFC (OK,
that takes a *lot* of discussion with non-compliant software, but...).