[mythtv-users] DTV upgrade questions: two-way compatible equipment

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Wed Dec 11 01:13:40 UTC 2013

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

<snip>

> This likely means (in TWC land) something that supports tuning adapter
> functionality, since TWC (in some locations) uses SDV.

<snip>

> In TWC land, almost everything digital is encrypted (the exceptions
> to this point have been the OTA channels, but, TWC is intending
> to encrypt even the basic tier, and one of the requirements is
> to move to an all digital plant, which is (probably) why TWC is
> making you convert from analog now), and most of the content (again,
> with the exception of the OTA and other government type channels)
> is marked copy-once.  To be future proof, in TWC land, there are
> basically two approaches, and only the first gets you more than
> the OTA/government channels  The first is to rent a STB from TWC
> and purchase a HD-PVR for the number of simultaneous channels
> you wish to record.  The second is to purchase an OCUR tuner
> (SiliconDust and/or Ceton and/or their sub-licensees) and obtain
> a CableCARD from TWC at their monthly rental rate (usually a few
> dollars a month, but your franchise will vary).  However, since
> MythTV does not (can not) implement the approved content
> protection, you can only record those channels that do not have
> content restrictions (again, mostly OTA and government channels).
>
> Examples of setup of either choice (and some discussions of
> the advantages/challenges of each) is in the wiki.
>
> If one moves to the dark side, WMC can record copy-once
> channels.
>
> TWC is not MythTV friendly.

Thank you for that helpful explanation, Gary. What you say is backed up by
a remark a cable tech, who came here to do some work about a year ago,
made to me at that time: he said TW was moving toward all-digital
broadcasting. I'll have to let your other remarks sink in a bit before I
will fully understand your points. Since I'm unwilling to pay monthly fees
and am not enamored enough with TV viewing to consider switching to the
dark side, it looks like I'll finally end up recording strictly OTA stuff
that my sole DTV tuner currently brings in via rabbit ears stationed in
the window. Not much of a loss since a good deal of what I currently watch
comes in over local OTA PBS broadcasts anyway.

James