[mythtv-users] How to transcode to SD within mythtv - system too slow to play HD

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 04:01:41 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> ...  If they have a waiver to encrypt content for the
> mini-boxes

As I read the ruling, all the providers can choose to encrypt
everything (with no further requests/waivers needed to proceed)
as long as they agree to the requirements (which involves,
among other things, completing analog reclamation (all
digital service), and offering "free" converter boxes for a
period of time if you are one of the top few providers)).  For
many of the top providers, it is those two requirements
(and their capital costs) that have delayed encryption of
basic, not any pending waiver request.

Comcast has (mostly?) completed basic tier encryption
(they had completed their analog reclamation some
time ago).  TWC is rolling out basic tier encryption (they
are in the process of completing NYC analog reclamation
and basic tier encryption as we type).  Cablevision had an
early waiver (special circumstances) which allowed them to
encrypt basic.  Their experience was used as a case study for
the FCC rule making.  AT&T uses IP, and is under different
rules.  Cox was a supporter of basic encryption, but (when
I last checked) still was supporting analog channels (this
allowed them to defer costs), so they have some work to
be able to move forward.  They have not announced basic
tier encryption, but I would be surprised if it is not on their
roadmap.  Verizon, with their FIOS service and GPON,
has most of the benefits of encryption of basic already
in place.  Many of the smaller providers still do analog,
so they also have work to do should they choose to
encrypt the basic tier.