[mythtv-users] After 7y5m running, time to start from scratch after update to .27?

Matthias Thyroff lists at thyroff.net
Sun Dec 8 21:05:02 UTC 2013

On 26.11.2013 04:40, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/25/2013 03:08 PM, Matthias wrote:
> I'll agree that setting up channels is the worst part of configuring a
> MythTV box.  However, if you start with a new database, you'll have to
> do that, anyway.  So, rather than going full nuclear and throwing away
> your entire database just because you think you have a problem with
> your channel configuration, I'm simply suggesting you throw away
> *only* the channel configuration information with "Delete all video
> sources" as it will accomplish the exact same thing as starting with a
> new database and prevents your having to reconfigure everything else.
>
> Agreed.  As a matter of fact, I would bet that the problem is not due
> to any MythTV configuration at all (TTBOMK, we don't have any
> "communicate incorrectly with the master backend" setting ;).

Hello everybody,

just a short message to close this thread properly.

I did not start from scratch to recover a working myth system.

I fixed the crashing backend by cleaning up the sources and channels.

I fixed the comunication problem ("mythcontext: backend is online") by
switching to another network card.

And just to be sure, I did as Mike recommended, deleted all sources,
cards and channels and started that part from scratch.

That was what I actually wanted to prevent, and it took me a good part
of a day to get it all back configured. Running the tv_grab_eu_epgdata
script did not write the xmltv config file. Had to run it from a command
line. Scanning dvb-s does not seem to work too well,either: In the first
run, it did find only very few channels. In the second run, it found
much more. In the third run, it had lost the LNB configuration, after
fixing that, it ran and had all channels. But it also had many duplicate
channels. After cleaning the duplicates, I had channels that would not
tune. I also made a script to clean up and sort the channels list and
assign XMLTV ids. But it seems that mythfilldatabase is not run by
housekeeping.

But the weekend is over, and myth is running. That's all I wanted.

Thanks for the great support on the list, have a good week,

Matthias