[mythtv-users] 0.27 Problem: Mythcontext - Backend is online

Matthias Thyroff lists at thyroff.net
Sun Dec 8 20:51:55 UTC 2013

On 21.10.2013 22:01, Matthias Thyroff wrote:
> On 21.10.2013 00:11, Matthias wrote:
>>> Networking issues.  Sounds like it's dropping off.  Network card
>>> failing?
>>>
>>> Doug
>>>

>> Hi Doug,
>>
>> good point. I have two network cards inside the server, I will check
>> with the other one.
>>
>> Without too much hope though: Problems startet precisely with the 0.27
>> upgrade; and it seems to be happening only with certain recordings.
>>
>> Right now I have one of them: This one recording goes falling out of the
>> recorded list and back in (being marked with the little cross sign). I
>> was able to watch it, though, and all other current recordings are there
>> without making any problem, appearently, and I can stream HD content
>> across my home without any problem.
>>
>> I do not have any other type of network problem either.
>>
>> I rather think it might be something in the database, in the program
>> description, for example, which causes problems during parsing. I am
>> using tv_grab_eu_epgdata, and they seem to be changing things every now
>> and then which cause problems with encoding, right now it seems they
>> send UTF-8 again which is not parsed correctly, I do not see umlauts
>> displayed correctly, and maybe it is certain combination of codes which
>> cause this?
>>
>> I maybe should check the mysql log...
>>
>> I will try the network card, though, thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> Matthias

> Hello list,
>
> just in case somebody finds this googling, here is my preliminary
> finding. I have deleted the program description in phpMyAdmin and that
> fixed the problem for this time.
>
> The problems with tv_grab_eu_epgdata and UTF-8 (or whatever) encodings
> are re-occuring but seem to be random. All other program descriptions
> in the last days are encoded correctly, just this one did not come in
> right. In other occasions, I had all program titles and descriptions
> wrong, now it is just some programs.
>
> For the myth programmers, it might be interesting to find out how a
> program description can interrupt the comunication between frontend
> and backend. I can supply a backup of my recorded table (off-list), if
> required. I am not able to analyze that myself.
>
> Thanks for all the support, regards,
>
> Matthias

Hello Everybody,

finally the problem seems solved. It had something to do with the
network card. After switching to the other card (onboard r8169), the
problem seems to be solved.

I still do not believe that it is the Intel PCIe card. It has not given
any other problem apart from this sporadic situation caused when any
frontend is idling in the recorded programs screen. I would rather like
to think that this is due to a misconfiguration or a bug, something that
does not happen in 0.26, but I will not find out.

Anyway... switching cards did it for me. Switching back brought back the
problem, after 24 hours or so running the backend. Switching back fixed
it again.

So I take this as fixed.

Cheers and thanks for the support

Matthias