[mythtv-users] lapse in Schedulesdirect.org - when will it reappear?

Leif Pihl leif at pihl.us
Fri Dec 6 19:14:25 UTC 2013

Gents:

To reduce the scrolling up and down a reader would have to do, this time I'm putting the copies down page.
The lack of Scheduling information has NOT yet been resolved.
It's been roughly 20.5 hours since the SchedulesDirect.org subscription has been renewed, and still no program data.

The first thing I did was to do these three commands:
   sudo apt-get update
   sudo apt-get upgrade
   sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

As per Greg's <gregl at nycap.rr.com> advice, I did...
> ...bring up a terminal and run mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all ?
With no noticeable difference.

As of this writing, I have not done a restart to the box.

I logged into my account on "SchedulesDirect.org" via more than one computer's web browser, and it _IS_ now in effect with an expiration date of February 5th, 2014.

In MythBuntu, I logged into the Backend, selected "4. Video Source", then (for EACH of my three sources) verified that the UserName and Password were correct (I re-typed in the PW).  I also DID select the "Retrieve Lineups" button, which resulted in an uncommonly FAST progress bar just splashing across the screen before it disappeared.

As per Robert Eden's <rmeden at yahoo.com> advice, I also re-logged into a computer's browser, and did a...
>    3. Try a test download http://schedulesdirect.org/getdata
The result was SOME sort of data, but I didn't recognize it as being the correct or incorrect data.  It just seemed...  Odd  is the best phrase I can think of.

As for Karl Newman's <newmank1 at asme.org> advice, I'm not sure what my "mythbackend runs as" means for me.  (I'm running 0.27 of MythBuntu.)

Before clicking send, I've just (now) exited the Backend Setup, done a MythFillDatabase and restarted the machine.
(Several of these steps have already been done earlier today and yesterday.)
Still no change.

Sincerely yours,

LP

-----
NOTE:
Below are FIVE messages about my topic.
-----

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org>
> Date: December 6, 2013 10:54:41 AM CST
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] lapse in Schedulesdirect.org - when will it reappear?
>
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Robert Eden <rmeden at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On 12/5/2013 10:30 PM, Leif Pihl wrote:
> >>
> >> I let my membership in "SchedulesDirect.org" lapse.
> >> I think it was close to a week that I didn't bother to fix it.
> >> I finally re-upped circa 4:30 pm Central time today.
> >> Circa 9-ish pm the program information had not yet been loaded, despite
> >> two restarts of the MythBuntu box and roughly two settings changes (or
> >> refreshes) in the MythTV Backend Settings program.
> >
> > Usually it takes 2-3 minutes.
>
> No, that's how long Schedules Direct takes to recognize that the
> account is valid.
>
> How long it takes MythTV to retry a download is separate.  It
> typically does this once per day, so on average it would take 12
> hours.
>
> Greg is correct.  The right thing to do is to log into the box and
> force a download to happen immediately. sudo mythfilldatabase
> --dd-grab-all should do the trick if it hasn't already happened by
> now.
>
> Eric
>
> I think you mean sudo -u mythtv mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all
> Replace "mythtv" with whatever user your mythbackend runs as, or even better, just log in as that user and run it without sudo. According to reports on this mailing list, if you run mythfilldatabase as root, it can leave behind temp files that are accessible only by root which can cause subsequent runs (as the mythtv user) to fail.
>
> Karl
Begin forwarded message:

> From: Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org>
> Date: December 6, 2013 10:21:15 AM CST
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] lapse in Schedulesdirect.org - when will it reappear?
>
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Robert Eden <rmeden at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On 12/5/2013 10:30 PM, Leif Pihl wrote:
>>>
>>> I let my membership in "SchedulesDirect.org" lapse.
>>> I think it was close to a week that I didn't bother to fix it.
>>> I finally re-upped circa 4:30 pm Central time today.
>>> Circa 9-ish pm the program information had not yet been loaded, despite
>>> two restarts of the MythBuntu box and roughly two settings changes (or
>>> refreshes) in the MythTV Backend Settings program.
>>
>> Usually it takes 2-3 minutes.
>
> No, that's how long Schedules Direct takes to recognize that the
> account is valid.
>
> How long it takes MythTV to retry a download is separate.  It
> typically does this once per day, so on average it would take 12
> hours.
>
> Greg is correct.  The right thing to do is to log into the box and
> force a download to happen immediately. sudo mythfilldatabase
> --dd-grab-all should do the trick if it hasn't already happened by
> now.
>
> Eric

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Robert Eden <rmeden at yahoo.com>
> Date: December 6, 2013 8:50:06 AM CST
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] lapse in Schedulesdirect.org - when will it reappear?
>
> On 12/5/2013 10:30 PM, Leif Pihl wrote:
>> I let my membership in "SchedulesDirect.org" lapse.
>> I think it was close to a week that I didn't bother to fix it.
>> I finally re-upped circa 4:30 pm Central time today.
>> Circa 9-ish pm the program information had not yet been loaded, despite two restarts of the MythBuntu box and roughly two settings changes (or refreshes) in the MythTV Backend Settings program.
> Usually it takes 2-3 minutes.  Due to a hard-to-track-down bug on Tribune's servers, about 5% of the time it takes overnight (a batch job catches/fixes it).
>
> The vast majority of the time these symptoms  occur is because a member changed their password to renew and didn't update their application (MythTV in this case) with the new password.
>
> To Troubleshoot:
>    1. Log on to Schedules Direct via the web
>    2. Look at the expiration date (including the year!)
>    3. Try a test download http://schedulesdirect.org/getdata
>
> If the test download show data and not an error, the problem is local.  If the problem is on the SD side, click the contact link and we'll fix it (you do get support :) )
>
> Robert
> Schedules Direct

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Greg <gregl at nycap.rr.com>
> Date: December 5, 2013 11:06:38 PM CST
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] lapse in Schedulesdirect.org - when will it reappear?
>
> On 12/05/2013 11:30 PM, Leif Pihl wrote:
>> I let my membership in "SchedulesDirect.org" lapse.
>> I think it was close to a week that I didn't bother to fix it.
>> I finally re-upped circa 4:30 pm Central time today.
>> Circa 9-ish pm the program information had not yet been loaded, despite two restarts of the MythBuntu box and roughly two settings changes (or refreshes) in the MythTV Backend Settings program.
>>
>> So...
>>
>> In scenarios like mine, where the SchedulesDirect program information has lapsed and been renewed...
>> [1] How long does it typically take to renew the program information?
>>

>> If the program information will not on its own re-populate (correct phrase?) into MythTV, then...
>> [2] What setting(s) needs to be adjusted, tweaked, and/or deleted & redone?
>>

>> LP

Begin forwarded message: