[mythtv-users] Mythweb scheduled Recordings not working when program already started

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 04:01:15 UTC 2013

On 12/5/13, 10:35 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/04/2013 09:33 PM, John Morris wrote:
>> Bad advice these days, many distros configure X to not even listen to
>> the tcp port anymore.  (Look at your process list and see if /usr/bin/X
>> was started with -nolisten tcp) And if there is any sort of iptables
>> configured it will also block X from any non-localhost address.  For now
>> we can still use ssh for remote app display but Wayland promises to
>> bring the days of network transparency to a sad end.
>>
>> Weep for the death of The UNIX Way.  By the time Linux achieves the long
>> awaited 'world domination' it will be indistinguishable from what it
>> replaced.  No network transparency, 'everything is a file' replaced with
>> 'everything is an API', Windows services and the registry.  Humbug.
>
> Well if you look at the numbers, the vast majority of PC users don't
> use network transparency, anyway.  (And, of course, when I say the
> vast majority of PC users, I mean the people who are using MS
> Windows.)  But, hey, who cares about Wayland, since now we have Mir.
>
> And, since it was /so/ easy to get video card vendors to create
> high-quality drivers for X.org/XFree86, why shouldn't we ask them to
> not only create drivers for X.org/XFree86 but also to create other
> drivers for Wayland, and other drivers for Mir.  After all, the
> vendors love GNU/Linux so much, I'm sure they'd love to triple the
> amount they're spending to support the tiny percentage of the
> (now-dwindling number of) PC users that run GNU/Linux (or is it now
> Red Hat/Linux and Canonical/Linux?).

That is called market presence, hence, market pressure. The GNU/Linux
market is still small compared to Windows. Hence, the lack of
significant interest.
That is a business 101 thing to understand.
And I actually go back to the old 386 days, where 20MHZ was blazing (OK,
a bit before that).
>> Oh, and just to be pendantic, while an X server is not required to send
>> a program's display to another server, you already installed the X
>> client libs and X basic apps to meet the dependencies of any program
>> capable of a graphical display.
>
> Hey, trimming out that <2MB of HDD space that an X server takes is
> exactly what it takes to get a lean, mean computing machine.
> Seriously, 2MB is 0.0004% of a 500GB HDD--and that's nothing to be
> sneezed at!  Oh, and the Xorg.1 man file is another 20kB, too!
>
> I'll bet you're the kind of person who thinks nothing of wasting
> 300kiB of RAM on a Window Manager for no benefit, other than having
> your windows appear where they should and in the z-order they should
> and be focused as they should and release focus to the right window
> when they close and such.  Some people just never look at the
> numbers--if they only realized that 300kiB is 0.007% of 4GiB of RAM,
> they'd realize just how much of a waste a Window Manager is.
>
> (In case it wasn't clear, I'm being sarcastic about the HDD space and
> RAM savings, not to mention about the video card vendors' willingness
> to support GNU/Linux users.)
>
> Mike
HHD space and RAM are somewhat insignificant today, however, CPU cycles
are still counted in some cases.
Such as virtual servers, SQL servers, web servers, etc.
But then, that is being a bit pedantic, as most MythTV users won't be
having such loads on their systems to have to concern themselves with X
running.