[mythtv-users] My scheduler problems are back again

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 5 10:39:16 UTC 2013

Stephen, feel free to ignore me because I am far from knowledgeable about
all this. But here goes anyway...

With reference to your database.txt file and in particular the DVB-T inputs:

1) Are you sure your cardid's and displayname's line up correctly with your
physical tuners? To explain - I have 4 physical tuners each capable of two
channels (8 total). But when I first set up my system the cardid's were not
assigned neatly with cardid's 1+2 to the first physical tuner, 3+4 to the
second etc. Instead physical tuner 1 got cardid's 1+5, physical tuner 2 got
cardid's 2+6, etc. In a later rebuild (as I said I need a lot of learning) I
tried to get smart and forced physical tuners1/2/3/4 to initially get
cardid's 1/3/5/7 respectively but then mythtv assigned cardid's 8/9/10/11
respectively instead of the hoped for 2/4/6/8 (which would have been neat
and sequential like yours is). I also couldn't find a way of definitively
mapping physical tuner to cardid but for me with a small number of tuners it
didn't take much trouble to test and sort it out. I imagine it would be much
harder to sort through 15 DVB-T channels - if your schedorder priority
numbers actually put the same priority across different physical tuners that
might precisely fit the symptoms you are seeing?

Maybe to test - if you tune cardid 1 to a multiplex and keep it tuned in,
are cardid's 2-5 restricted to channels on that multiplex as you would
expect and prevented from tuning to a different multiplex?

2) I see cardid's 1-5 all got schedorder 1, cardid's 6-10 all got schedorder
5 and cardid's 11-15 all got schedorder 9. But I would have expected
cardid's 1-5 to get schedorder 1, cardid's 6-10 to get schedorder 6 and
cardid's 11-15 to get schedorder 10 (mostly based on how the schedorder
defaulted on my system). Unfortunately this is more of an idle observation
as I couldn't see it having any real impact on the behaviour you are
currently noticing, or any real impact on anything at all.

3) I see that your schedorder is the same order as your livetvorder. I think
the recommendation is to have livetvorder opposite to schedorder to prevent
(minimise) live tv stuffing up recordings but for the life of me I can't
find the appropriate wiki reference. Maybe someone in the know can verify.

Hope the above helps in some way.